Sunday 26 April 2015

FIVE THINGS MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME


Irving Penn.


1. ALWAYS wash off your makeup before bed:

 Even if you roll in at 2 am, and collapse onto your bed. A quick once over with a wet wipe will do the trick. It'll prevent that huge zit in the middle of your face the next day, and panda eyes in the morning really aren't that pretty. 



2. Dress to your body not the trends:

9 year old me hated this. All I ever wanted to wear was these super high (I'm talking under the boob high) waisted denim shorts. Although to my delight, they made my legs look super long, but they would eliminate all evidence that I had a back/chest/body. I'd basically look like a chest with legs. It's great to buy a few pieces each season that are 'on trend', but she's taught me to invest in pieces that I know fit and flatter my body well. 


3. You can never have too many white t-shirts and black pants:

Anyone who knows my mum knows that this needs no explanation. More often than not it's her uniform. Nothing looks more polished and put together than a great pair of black jeans and crisp white top. 


4. Be independent:

Girls should be happy with OR without someone cos #whoruntheworld (girls). Somehow mum has taught me the value of independence, and to avoid relying on others where possible. She has taught me to take responsibility for my mistakes, and to work hard for what I want. 


5. Appreciate old music: 

It might not speak to my teenage soul. But the music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's had a relevant meaning to those who were listening to it. They could relate to it, and I can't say that I can relate to any song in the top 40 at the moment. They're all about drinking, drugs, partying, love, etc. So mum has taught me to appreciate the music from that era.


Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment